SITO / Discussions / sito.synergy.gridcosm
Re: 1819 -- childhood nightmares?
by Root Mugwort [rut SITOme] [email Root Mugwort] 2004-05-14 23:55:37 [9235]
"this is starting to seem like something a "harmless" fairy tale would turn to in a nightmare"

Actually many fairy tales were completely bizarre and violent. My friend Eliza Grim collects and republishes folk tales like this:

The Mayor Receives a Visit

One Day two pigeons wanted to take a trip together. They built a beautiful carriage that had four red wheels, and then hitched four rats to it. The pigeons climbed into the carriage and drove all together. Soon they came across a cat who asked, "Where are you going?"

"We're going to see the Mayor, today. We're off without delay!"

"Take me with you." said the cat.

"Gladly," answered on of the pigeons.

"Sit on the back so you won't fall off in the front."

Soon a bowling ball came, then an egg, a waterbug, a pin, and finally a sewing needle, who all got into the carriage and rode along. However, when they arrived at the Mayor's house, he was not there. The rats pulled the carriage into the basement. The pigeons flew up on a perch. The cat settled down by the radiator. The waterbug took a place by the sink. The egg wrapped itself in a towel. The pin stuck itself in a chair cushion. The sewing needle jumped on the bed right into the pillow. And the bowling ball set itself down above the door. When the Mayor came home, he went to the radiator to adjust the heat, but the cat spat in his face. He ran quickly into the kitchen to wash the cat spit off, but the waterbug splashed water in his face. As he tried to dry himself with the towel, the egg rolled toward him and broke open, so his eyes became glued shut. Now he wanted to rest and sit down in the chair, but the pin stuck him. In his rage he ran and threw himself down on his bed, but the sewing needle stuck him as his head hit the pillow. He let out a scream and was so furious that he decided to run out into the wide world. However, just as he got through the front door, the bowling ball jumped down and killed him.

end.

I've got more but I have to type the whole thing in and it takes a while.

In reply to:
1819 -- childhood nightmares?

Index of all topics
The Discussions are disabled now and this is only an archive copy.