SITO / Discussions / sito.synergy.gridcosm
evolution
by Ed Stastny [oed SITOme] [email Ed Stastny] 2000-11-19 06:23:34 [833]
first: im on a weird french keyboard; so please pardon funky ASCII; okay?

second: gridcosm 601 is currently nonfunctional because of a level-up software glitch, not some mandate (not that anyone accused). we might interpret this as a sign though; a big HEY NOW from fate and fury. HEY NOW and SIZE UP.

ive been watching the debates and namecalling and furious declarations here on the TOPIC. it is inspiring to see folks so moved by art and specifically this collaborative thing called GRIDCOSM. it is ALIVE. that makes me happier than food or money or stumptown coffee.

jon and i, the guys who code this thing, have had a number of earnest talks about what could and should be done to keep the flow equitable. we have contingencies; but personally, id rather not impose more rules.

i love rules. rules are what shape a project like this. but i say (tell me if you think differently) that rules should be kept as simple as possible.

it isnt interesting for me to see level after level filled up by one person; regardless of the "content quotient" of the images. that, simply, is not what its about for me. at least; that isnt a technique that yields as much collaboration as an intricately and diversely woven single level. density is lost and alienation is gained when someone (anyone) monopolises levels, no matter how long they wait in between pieces or at what hour of day they do their blitz.

i must say: the very nature of gridcosm sucks up those level-after-level indulgences rather quickly, though. in the end, the endless flow will dominate.

SO: we probably won't impose any new rules. but id like to beg courtesy and patience. if you cant make art out of your anger, then please dispense with it. please don't give up on articipating to spite someone's avatar. if gridcosm is moving too slowly, please try HyGrid too.

ASIDE: i am currently in paris for a month. if you have any advice for a long)term visitor, please email me - ed@sito.org - ive been talking about Gridcosm with my host, IZO (bertrand eberhard). it is partly Gridcosm that brought us together, to share time and food and goodness. it is partly gridcosm that is allowing me to meet new cool people. gridcosm is more than these gorgeous frontlines and trenches of pixel and ascii. so much more, it almost overwhelms me.

thanks for reading, playing and understanding. riot on.

...e

Replies:
Re: evolution

Index of all topics
The Discussions are disabled now and this is only an archive copy.